A Prepublished Novel in the Process of Revisions and Rewrites

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Now for a little editor time: Please welcome Ms. Amanda Barnett, Senior Editor of the Faery Line at TWRP


Hello everyone,

I'm Amanda Barnett, Senior editor for the Faery Rose line at The Wild Rose Press. I've been with the company for almost a year and a half. I have some wonderful authors, met some awesome editors and feel like TWRP is a company that stands on its word.

I have a background in the publishing world that includes, reviews, columns, interviews and my own work being put under a microscope and then published. For me you have to be willing to put it all out there in relation to your work in order to get anywhere.


I would like to tell you a bit about what I'm looking for in the way of manuscripts for the Faery Rose line. Heroes and heroines who are sensual, plots that are edgy and filled with some of the elements that make up our guidelines. Ghosts, witches, dragons, faeries, time travels, science fiction. These are the basis for our line, and I would love to see characters that readers remember long after they read
the last page.

A good way for any author be they a newbie or already pubbed, is to make sure you read the guidelines for whichever line you are targeting. That gives you an insight as to what we editors are looking for. The elements of writing should be adhered to and I will tell you now, I do not care for point of view that is all over the place.

We have some of the best editors, cover artists, production and public relations folks in the business at The Wild Rose Press, who will be more than happy to guide you from start to finish with your work.

Happy writing,

Amanda Barnett
amanda@thewildrosepress.com

12 comments:

  1. It's great to be able to hear exactly what an editor wants. Thanks for sharing this.
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kaye -- Fancy meeting you here!

    Yes, Amanda, this is wonderful information. Thanks for sharing!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kaye, thank you so much for stopping by.

    I think we all want to read a book that will take us out of life's problems.

    My editors will tell you flat out, that I don't mince words when it comes to manuscripts. There are a lot of good new writers out there as well as established ones, and I want the best for our readers.

    Amanda Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Helen,

    Thank you for your kind comments. It is good to meet fellow souls who love to read and write.

    Amanda Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed your blog, Amanda! Thanks for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cari,

    So glad you enjoyed the blog. You know as an editor, you would think a blog would be easy to write. However, I can tell you I waffled over every word...lol.

    Thanks for your comments!

    Amanda Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evening, Amanda!

    Great information here for authors. Thank you for giving us a heads up on what Faery is looking for in their submission requirements.

    As an author, I stress over submission guidelines, reading them over and over because I never want to miss something important. Submitting one's work is hard enough without paying particular attention to exactly what the house wants from story content down to the formatting. YIKES! One small mistake can get you tossed in the slush pile.

    Anyway, thanks for dropping by today:)

    Dayana~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for having me as a guest blogger, Dayana. I was much impressed with your latest book.

    Guidelines are important and should be followed. It helps so much in the process from query to contract to publication.

    Again, my thanks for a wonderful day!

    Amanda Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'll go memorize the guidelines! I sure appreciate the information. Sorry I didn't get to read this yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good afternoon, Amanda,

    Very nice to meet you. It is always good to know exactly what an editor expects.

    Your perspective is invaluable.

    Blessings, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary,

    I just saw your post. Glad you stopped by. I hope you do read the guidelines. Let me know if you have any questions.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura,

    So good to meet you here. Being an editor is rewarding but also hard work...lol.

    Hey for a girl that just wanted to read, this is and has been an awesome
    opportunity.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete